Monday, July 30, 2007

Speaking of Parenting...

I collect quotes. Inspiring ones, subtle ones, ones that make you think, laugh out loud ones and even ones that express a somewhat unique view on life as we know it. But some of my favorite quotes have to do with parenting. Or those that can be applied to parenting even if that wasn't the intent. I was sharing some with a friend this morning and thought I'd share some here as well. If I was able to find the person who originated the quote, I've included that but some just come my way without mentioning the wise person who originated the wonderful thought. If you know one that I don't, please share that information with me.

These are some of my favorites at the moment. They might not capture the whole thought for that particular subject, but they do grasp at least one important point. I hope you find them as meaningful, humorous, or inspiring as I do.

My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

Children are natural mimics: they act like their parents in spite of every attempt to teach them good manners.

You know children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers. - John Plomp

Every beetle is a gazelle in the eyes of its mother. -Arab Proverb

The most important thing that parents can teach their children is how to get along without them. -Frank A. Clark

Discipline doesn't break a child's spirit half as often as the lack of it breaks a parents heart.

To be in your children's memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today.

The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable. -Lane Olinhouse

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? -Milton Berle

Parenthood: That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage. -Marcelene Cox

Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. -Robert Fulghum

Like all parents, my husband and I just do the best we can, and hold our breath, and hope we've set aside enough money to pay for our kids' therapy.

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy. -Robert A. Heinlein

Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.

As long as we're facing the right direction, all we have to do is keep walking.

I don't care what Hillary Clinton says. I've seen the village. I don't want it raising my child.

It is not easy to straighten in the oak the crook that grew in the sapling.
-American Proverb

What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.

And possibly the funniest one to us at the moment as we have Mustgoes more often than not: The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.

No comments: