Saturday, August 11, 2007

Why, Mommy? Why Does Daddy Love Us? Why?

We are deep in to the inevitable three year old "Why" stage. Really deep. And I think it is going to be awhile before we dig ourselves out of it. At least if today is any indication. Here's a conversation I just had with Laura:

Mom, where's Daddy?

Where is Daddy?

Daddy's at work. Why is Daddy at work?

Why is Daddy at work?

Daddy is at work because he loves us.

Yes, Daddy loves us very much.

Why, Mommy? Why does Daddy love us? Why?

Because he does.

But why, Mommy? Why does Daddy love us? Why?

Because he does. *I smile as I think about just how much he loves us*

But why, Mommy? Why does Daddy love us? Why? Why? *she sits there with a pleading look on her face, hands facing up as she gestures that 'I don't know' thing she does with her hands and shoulders*

Because Laura. He loves us just because we are his.

But why, Mommy? Why does Daddy love us just because we are his? Why?

And so the conversation goes. I seems as though it will be never ending. So far it has gone on for several minutes. There is no end in sight.

I've thought a lot of late about the love that surrounds me. My family loves me unconditionally. I am blessed to have Don who has given so much to us all in the past five years and will continue to love us more than I can ever imagine. I have friends who are a constant support and am growing in that circle of friends on a regular basis. And in the midst of it all I have the Lord who loves me enough to die on the cross for me. Me. One of many yet he knew he was doing it for me. Me. Christine. Why? Because I am his. Because he loves me.

Perhaps Laura will have an easier time understanding the mighty power of the love the Lord has for us because of her Daddy. Then again maybe not...

Why, Mommy? Why does Daddy love us just because? Why? Why?

And so it goes...

No comments: