Thursday, June 21, 2007

There Are Seven Days, There Are Seven Days...

It seems that I periodically don't give my kids enough credit. They know things and often can do things I think they can't. Well, perhaps it is more that they haven't done it, so I never ask them to do it now. Like Jonathan, who has never done the dishes. I'm quite sure that by the age of nine I was either clearing the table, doing the dishes, or drying and putting them away each and every night unless I could bribe my brother, but not Jonathan. Not yet, anyway. Or perhaps, as in Laura's case, we were told not to expect normal development so I am always amazed at her when she knows something, or learns something quickly. And yet, when she does, I find that I am proud and 'knew it all along' because the Lord certainly has had his hand on her life from the get go.

Like tonight...

We were riding home from Honey and Poppy's and Laura was asking when she was going to get to go back to Honey's house. Don told her that she'd be able to see Honey again in two days. He said phrases like "the day after tomorrow" and "you will have tomorrow and then the next day you will get to see Honey" and so on. Finally it occurred to me that this was a big subject, but she probably could get it. So I said "Tomorrow is Friday. The day after that is Saturday. You will get to see Honey again on Saturday." It was quiet in the car for a moment and I should have left it at that. But did I? No. It seems that in my mind a loop of music started playing, and true to form I opened my mouth and let it out. While that might not seem too terrible, although you shouldn't ask Matthew or Jonathan about my singing, I realized after I started singing that I was in trouble. It was one of those really obnoxious type songs. The kind that plays over and over again in your mind for days even though you quit singing it long ago. The kind with the catchy tune that 3 year olds just love. The kind they sing just because they can remember it. After all, Barney's creators planned it that way!

There are seven days, there are seven days, there are seven days in a week.
There are seven days, there are seven days, there are seven days in a week.
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

Yes, even as I typed my mind sung the tune. After singing it at least a dozen times on the way home with Laura, how can it not? *sigh* I suppose I should be happy that she'll probably always remember the days of the week from now on. I suppose I should be happy that she's added another song to her growing repertoire of music she knows by heart and sings, just like Mommy does, when she's doing her chores or even singing herself to sleep. But I know what will happen. In a few days my mind will finally let go of the song. It will have exhausted it's repetition beyond comprehension and I will finally have peace, knowing that "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" or "The ABC Song" will once again take it's place as the reel to reel in my mind. And then, from the depths of the monitor in Laura's room I'm sure to hear it. Yes, there it is even now...

Der are sebin days, der are sebin days...

*sigh*

Anyone for "If You're Happy and You Know It"?

No comments: