Sunday, September 30, 2007

William Tell Momisms or The Mom Song

In an effort to share The Mom Song with a friend who does not have speakers that work on her computer, I thought I'd sit down and transcribe the lyrics. There is still one spot where I can't figure out the exact words Anita Renfroe is singing, but I've done my best. I thought I'd post them here for those of you who haven't seen the video. Trust me, the lyrics don't do the comedic value justice at all. When put to the William Tell Overture and sung by Anita, however, they come to life. I encourage you to listen for yourself. But, if you are one of those who doesn't have working speakers, here's the lyrics to the best of my ability. If you'd like to submit a correction, please feel free. My ears are getting older and sometimes my brain doesn't work as fast as my fingers do on the keyboard. :)

UPDATE: The mystery lyrics have been solved by the writer herself. They are recorded below. And please feel free to visit her site to order the DVD if you just can't live without it!


William Tell Momisms
by Anita Renfroe
sung to the William Tell Overture
Get up now, get up now, get up out of bed,
Wash your face, brush your teeth, comb your sleepy head.
Here’s your clothes and your shoes, hear the words I said,
Get up now, get up and make your bed.

Are you hot, are you cold, are you wearing that?
Where’s your books and your lunch and your homework at?
Grab your coat and your gloves and your scarf and hat.
Don’t forget, you’ve gotta feed the cat.

Eat your breakfast, the experts tell us it’s the most important meal of all,
Take your vitamins so you will grow up one day to be big and tall.
Please remember the orthodontist will be seeing you at three today,
Don’t forget your piano lesson is this afternoon so you must play.

Don’t shovel, chew slowly, but hurry, the bus is here,
Be careful, come back here, did you wash behind your ears?
Play outside, don’t play rough, would you just play fair?
Be polite, make a friend, don’t forget to share,
Work it out, wait your turn, never take a dare,
Get along, don’t make me come down there.

Clean your room, fold your clothes, put your stuff away,
Make your bed, do it now, do we have all day?
Were you born in a barn? Would you like some hay?
Can you even hear a word I say?

Answer the phone, Get off the phone,
Don’t sit so close, turn it down, no texting at the table.
No more computer time tonight,
Your ipod’s my ipod if you don’t listen up.

Where you going and with whom and what time do you think you’re coming home?
Saying thank you, please, excuse me, makes you welcome everywhere you roam.
You’ll appreciate my wisdom someday when you’re older and you’re grown.
Can’t wait til you have a couple little children of your own.

You’ll thank me for the council I gave you so willingly,
But right now I thank you not to roll your eyes at me.
Close your mouth when you chew, we’d appreciate,
Take a bite, maybe two, of the stuff you hate.
Use your fork, do not burp or I’ll set you straight.
Eat the food I put upon your plate.

Get an A, get in the door, don’t be smart with me,
Get a grip, get in here or I’ll count to three,
Get a job, Get a life, get a PhD, get a dose of

I don’t care who started it,
You’re grounded until you’re 36,
Get your story straight and tell the truth for once for heaven sake.

And, if all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you jump to?
If I’ve said once I’ve said it at least a thousand times before,
That you’re too old to act this way,
It must be your father’s DNA.

Look at me when I am talking, stand up straighter when you walk.
A place for everything, and everything must be in place.
Stop crying or I’ll give you something real to cry about.

oh

Brush your teeth, wash your face, get your pj’s on.
Get in bed, get a hug, say a prayer with Mom.
Don’t forget I love you (kiss)

And tomorrow we will do this all again
because a Mom’s work never ends.

You don’t need the reason why,
Because, Because, Because, Because,
I said so, I said so, I said so, I said so.
I’m the Mom, the Mom, the Mom, the Mom, the Mom!

Ta-Da!


And here is the video so you can follow along if you'd like:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

thanks so much for getting me started on the lyrics. I plan to use them for next year's Mothers Day Worship service.

If I can make out the single missing lyric, I'll let you know.

At least there's plenty of time.

K

Anonymous said...

the missing lyric is

get a dose of

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
You probably have no idea who i am. I'm thirteen, and I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I was looking up the lyrics to the Mom Song, when i came across your blog. I just wanted to tell you I think it's amazing what you've got going here, and I wish you all the best with Laura. She seems like a really sweet kid. You seem like a great mom,
Sorry if i freaked you out, but this blog kinda "moved" me. I dont know, I just think it's great what a good mom you are! My mom's brilliant too, those kind of moms are easy to identify.
Cait

Anonymous said...

the word missing is goal..."get a goal" that's what I am hearing. Thanks for posting the lyrics.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I was searching for the lyrics, when I ran across your site. I also found them on YouTube. Here's what they posted for your missing lyrics:

Get a job, get a life, get a PHD
Get a dose of,
"I don't care who started it!
You're grounded until you're 36"


Make sense how it fits?

Anyway, many blessings! ~Christi

Liz said...

This is a great site! Thanks so much for the words!! I laugh out loud every time I read them!! Does anyone out there know the words to another song Anita Renfroe did...a parody of "You Raise Me Up", about underwire bras?!?! I'd love to get the words, and can't find!!! Liz

Anonymous said...

I think the missing lyric is "get a goal, so I don't care who started it" It makes more sense because my mom would always tell me to "get a goal" :) Thank you for posting the lyrics, this song has got to be the funniest song I've ever heard!

~Kelly

Unknown said...

thanks 4 posting the lyrics 2 the mom song. there r days when i don't feel like telling my daughter all this stuff all day long, so i might take a leaf out of anita's book and say it all w/i 3 mins in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Hello Chris,

thank you so much for this site with the lyric to the mom song. I´m from germany and of course it´s sometimes hard to undestanding this song. She to fast ;-)
But when I remember my childhood I still hear the same words in my ear.
So I became father this year and I will see how it goes with the next generation :-D

Best regards from saxony germany

Michel

Anonymous said...

Hey, kool video chris. i was thinking of joining youtube and after seeing this video i am joining.thanks for everything!:-)

Unknown said...

hi!

I love love this video, we just posted the kid's version on youtube and would love for you to check it out and tell us what you think or repost if you like it,

http://www.onteenstoday.com/2008/12/02/the-mom-song-kids-response-humor-sung-to-william-tells-overture/

I run a parenting blog written by teen's for the kid's perspective on parenting called OnTeensToday.com. We are all about getting kid's voices heard and think this is a funny way to do it.

Cheers,

Vanessa Van Petten and the Teen Team