Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What a Wonderful World

The boys and I are reading through the New Testament one chapter at a time. At the moment we're reading through Sermon on the Mount and discussing it as we go. I am amazed at what they've learned from it long before we took the time to read it together. I am also quietly amazed at what they don't understand. I guess you could say I'm getting a pat on the back and a kick in the bucket at the same time. I'm consoling myself with the knowledge that we're studying it now and will continue to do so, and I am doing my best for now.

On Monday our discussion encompassed not only the Sermon on the Mount but took in some conversations about creation, why God made us, and how he made so many things for us to just enjoy. Because he loves us. It was a 'feel good' day and their prayers that morning were evident that they were very thankful for some specifics in the world the Lord had made. Score one for Mom and Mondays. :)

This afternoon the topic came up once again, but in a way that I'd never, ever guess. While having another discussion about why they don't have access to youtube unless I'm the one clicking, we looked up a few things to watch. I thought it was important to show them that no matter how innocent a title might seem, people have a knack for making it unacceptable. Even christian musicians don't have control over what people do with their music as they express themselves through homemade videos set to their expressions of faith in the Lord. And they saw evidence of that today. It was a sad moment for them both. I think they will wrestle for awhile with the concept of someone taking Christian music and making a video that goes against everything said in the lyrics. And it reaffirmed my commitment to keep praying the Lord's protection over them and doing my best to guard them from what Satan wants to make acceptable.

In order to wrap up our impromptu exploration with something positive we looked up the Jesus paintings. There are several, and all show some wonderful talent. I encourage you to look them up. Although Matthew and I had seen them before, Jonathan was seeing them for the first time and he was impressed. Not wanting to be outdone by his brother, Jonathan asked me to look up the hand shadow videos he and I had watched a few weeks ago. We sat for a few moments enjoying those, too. One is set to music, and is my favorite, so I saved that for last. As it finished Matthew asked me who sung the song. I shared with him that it had been initially done by Louis Armstrong, a great jazz musician. I gave them both some quick facts about his life and shared that his soothing voice was one of my favorites.

Both of them were quiet for a moment and then Matthew said "Mom, I think Louis Armstrong must have been a Christian. After all, this song is just thanking the Lord for what he made that we can enjoy." As I gave them both a hug and quietly thanked the Lord for giving me this time to be at home with them, I told them that I didn't know much about his personal life but I'm very thankful for his music.

Here are they lyrics that have inspired me many times, and gave pause to Matthew today. After all, the Lord gave us such a wonderful world.
What a Wonderful World

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really saying I love you.

I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.

No comments: