Thursday, September 11, 2008

It Can't Be!!!


It seems that there are many effects to working out, specifically with weights and so on. For the past year, Matthew and my Dad have gone three days a week to work out at the gym. They both have a routine and they move from machine to machine, strengthening their muscles and bonding at the same time. And in true family fashion, Dad not only shares his knowledge and wisdom with my growing son, but throws in some puns along the way which is making life around here ever more interesting. How many other families spend time making up jokes with wordplay?? Yeah, I didn't think so. And as a friend so wisely said today, the Lord says we are to be a "peculiar people". I guess we take that very seriously around here.

Anyway, as my very hormonally laden teenager headed upstairs for a much needed shower today, it seems he decided to check his weight. Why? Who knows. I check it far too often for my enjoyment. Apparently he's smarter than I am. For a few moments all is quiet. Then from upstairs I hear "190!!! 190!!??!!?? I can't weigh 190!!!! It Can't be!!!! came screaming down to greet me.

I must admit I had several reactions. The first was to smile. Just what does he think all of that weight-lifting and working out is doing? Yeah, his initial motivation might have been to get a tighter bucket so I'd hurt my hand when I whacked it as I walked by instead of making his bucket sting, but since then he's realized the time with Poppy is what it is really all about. Well that, and those muscles he's so diligently crafting. I guess it is time he learns that muscle weighs more than fat.

But my second reaction is the one that I hope will add to my motivation to be healthier. I'd love to weigh 190. Yes, really. How awesome it would be to weigh less than my teen son. After all, he's taller than I am. He's obviously stronger than I am. And he isn't done growing or working out yet. So there you have it. Another motivator to lose weight and get healthy. I think I need to make a list. And then blow it up along with a few choice, not-so-flattering pictures from our beach week, and post them in the pantry and the frig. Maybe that, along with a few scriptures, will do it. Just think... I won't be the heaviest one in the family any longer. Wouldn't that be awesome?!?!?! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: