Our Mitchell FAB had a weak spot on the strap that finally broke. I'd been treating it carefully knowing I would have to dig up a shoe repair place for repairs once it did break and I didn't recall one close. But it gave way and a repair became necessary. After a search for one close, I finally found a guy about 15 minutes away who said he'd take a look at it and he'd see what he could do. I took a picture of another repair you can see on Shawnee's six feet site here (scroll down on the left hand side)so he'd know what another cobbler tried that worked. He took that idea and came up with his own.
As you can see by the pictures below, he matched the leather color, surrounded the strap with a double layer and told me it wasn't going anywhere any time soon. He is right. Our only issue with it is that if the repair were just a bit longer, it would go through the buckle a bit easier. However, I'm thrilled I didn't have to bother John with making a new shoe for the few months we have left with this pair.