Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Mitchell FAB Strap Repair

Our Mitchell FAB had a weak spot on the strap that finally broke. I'd been treating it carefully knowing I would have to dig up a shoe repair place for repairs once it did break and I didn't recall one close. But it gave way and a repair became necessary. After a search for one close, I finally found a guy about 15 minutes away who said he'd take a look at it and he'd see what he could do. I took a picture of another repair you can see on Shawnee's six feet site here (scroll down on the left hand side)so he'd know what another cobbler tried that worked. He took that idea and came up with his own.

As you can see by the pictures below, he matched the leather color, surrounded the strap with a double layer and told me it wasn't going anywhere any time soon. He is right. Our only issue with it is that if the repair were just a bit longer, it would go through the buckle a bit easier. However, I'm thrilled I didn't have to bother John with making a new shoe for the few months we have left with this pair.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this, Chris, nice pictures ;-)

sari said...

Hi Chris,

I m a new mum and my baby also has clubfoot, the right one.
I m in Singapore and I dont know how to buy the mitchell shoes, I bought markell but I think it's more difficult to wear and my baby keep crying :(
I wonder if you can share some experience as I also need some info.
If you dont mind please share me your email, mine is rps.lie@gmail.com

thanks a lot, God bless.
Sari

Chris said...

Sari,
The website is www.mdorthopaedics.com and you can order them directly from there. It is by far cheaper to order them directly than to go through an orthotist who will triple and more the price.
I wish you all the best,
Chris

Anonymous said...

We had our Mitchell shoes repaired at a local shoe repair place and he did exactly the same thing. It worked great for us too and I'm glad to see that we're not the only ones to have encountered this.

Amy